Why Sherlock isn't Sexist.

In my opinion I don't think the Sherlock special was sexist at all. In fact quite the opposite. For an era where at the time women didn't even have the vote, the writers done an incredible job  of creating kick ass female characters and a brilliant plot line where a group of women fight for justice and are for the sister-hood!
For starters, Mary Watson who is played by Amanda Abbington. I absolutely adore Mary in the modern series, she's a very strong female character in series three. Mary in the Conan Doyle books virtually doesn't exist. I admit I haven't read all of them but I know she  appears in Sign of Four and once or twice on other occasions. However the writers of Sherlock have used this to their advantage to create this Victorian character of their own. Mary is adventurous, intelligent, strong-minded and frankly, down-right sassy woman. She is determined to work and have her own adventures and own life. She's also a suffragette  and feminist. Need I say more.
Molly Hooper (Louise Brealey) was also seen in the special disguised as a man working in the Morgue  named 'Hooper'. Molly Hooper wasn't even in the Conan Doyle books which once again gave the writers complete control over how to write the character. Hooper was a strong-willed and brave character who is loyal and fights for justice. Molly Hooper in the modern series is a shy character and yet we see her being feisty and I can  relate to this because I feel it teaches that yes I am shy or awkward but I can be pretty feisty when I have to stick up for myself. It doesn't mean I'm not strong.
Towards the end of the episode we see Mary show Sherlock and John a group of masked people chanting under a church. Sherlock explained to John and Mary how the group of people were a group of women avenging women who have been wronged by men.
Referring to women, he says: 'The invisible army hovering at our elbow, tending to our homes, raising our children, ignored, patronised, disregarded, not allowed so much as a vote.
But an army nonetheless, ready to rise up in the best of causes, to put right an injustice as old as humanity itself.'
 This was such a beautiful dialect  because it described precisely how it would of been like for women of the Victorian era. How it can be for some even in this day and age. We face everyday sexism so this was very easy for us to sympathize. Frankly women in an Invisible Army, working together in a battle they cannot lose made me want to leap up and punch the air in triumph! I understand people thought the show showed Feminists in a violent way but if you think about it, surely women had to act like that to get listened to? For example the Suffrage movement tried to protest peacefully but the men wouldn't listen so they were left no choice but to act more physically. To quote Carey Mulligan whilst performing as Maude Watts in Suffragette (2015)
"We break windows, we burn things. Cause war's the only thing men listen to"
In those times, women had to act drastically so change society's ways, if they didn't, woman today wouldn't have the vote which would lead to no equality what so ever.

Sherlock is about primarily two men and i understand that. But one of the  reasons why I love the show so much is the female characters. There is not one female character that I feel has been badly written or isn't strong and as a young feminist it gives me characters to relate to which is so important to any person regardless of gender or age.

Comments

Popular Posts