To the dear Suffrage Movement,

Dear Suffrage Movement,
For years you were ridiculed, beaten, forced fed, shunned by society. You were physically, mentally and verbally abused. You tried so hard to protest peacefully and negotiate but "well- behaved" women rarely make history and as you pointed out it is 'Deeds not words' that will win you the vote.
I sit here, in Glasgow, as a 17 year old girl in 2018. I am able to vote, I am able to use my voice, to work, to apply for university, to go as an independent woman, wherever I please. I believe that wouldn't  be the case if it wasn't for you.
Of course there would of been other before you and so many inspired after. But you persisted bravely despite it destroying many of your warriors so we could live in a fairer equal society. Where we rightly have a voice and freedom.
All I simply wanted to say was Thank you. Thank you for paving that path for millions  of other women after you to continued to fight the good fight. You were my first heroes. Your story made me realised as a young girl that I was a feminist and I wouldn't have the  rights I do now if it wasn't for you.
The moment, 100 years ago today, that some women won the basic right to vote, it changed everything. It lit that fire of hope and idea as it spread across the globe, inspiring millions it began so many  other  movements. Maybe not right away, even now we're still carrying the the kindling.
Your legacy lives on. And it always will. I will always think of you as I cast my vote in every single local or general election or referendums. I will always continue to question injustice as you have made it safe for me to do so.
I hope at least some of you know the impact you had. And that despite all the hardships and suffering. You did it. We're celebrating 100 years of it.
Never surrender. Never give up the fight.
Yours faithfully and sincerely,
Eilidh Cochrane




Comments

  1. Bloody loved this!!! Completely agree with you and it's so refreshing to read something I'm so passionate about. Great to have you back, lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts